Last modified: April 7, 2016
There are many different ways you can use our services – to authenticate a product and share information, to communicate with brand manufacturers or navigate to product purchase pages. When you share information with us, for example by creating a VerifiR Account, we can make those services even better – to allow you to register products you purchased with just one click, to help you connect with manufacturers or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
Your privacy matters to VerifiR so whether you are new to VerifiR or a long-time user, please do take the time to get to know our practices – and if you have any questions contact us .
Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which browser you are using.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, many of our services allow you to sign up for a VerifiR Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address or telephone number to store with your account.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you authenticate a product, use registration services, or view and navigate to content we provide. This information includes:
We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). VerifiR may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your VerifiR Account.
When you use our services or view content provided by VerifiR, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
– details of how you used our service, such as your product authentication requests.
– Internet protocol address.
– device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
– cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your VerifiR Account.
When you use VerifiR services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, and depending on your approval of browser geo-location feature, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide VerifiR with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Cookies and similar technologies
We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a VerifiR service link, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as VerifiR features. Our VerifiR Analytics product helps manufacturers analyze the distribution process of their products.
Information we collect when you are signed in to VerifiR may be associated with your VerifiR Account. When information is associated with your VerifiR Account, we treat it as personal information.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect VerifiR and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant navigation options or special promotions by product manufacturers.
We may use the name you provide for your VerifiR Profile across all of the services we offer that require a VerifiR Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your VerifiR Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services.
When you contact VerifiR, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. One of the products we use to do this on our own services is VerifiR Analytics. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer.
VerifiR processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- Review and control certain types of information tied to your VerifiR Account by using VerifiR My Account.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or your location information. However, it’s important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies or location information are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences or 1-Click Product Registration details.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free for our non-Enterprise users, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of VerifiR unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VerifiR when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- For external processing
- For legal reasons
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VerifiR if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of VerifiR, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like VerifiR manufacturer subscribers. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services and popularity of brand products.
We work hard to protect VerifiR and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to VerifiR employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities